Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Weight Loss-Some Practical Advice

The weather is warming up, giving us a taste of summer, so many people are beginning to think about weight.
If you have read My Weight Loss Story blog, you already know that I lost 60 pounds by exercising and dieting. For those of you that have begun your weight loss journey, I wanted to pass along some of my experiences.

1) 98 percent of weight loss is dietary related.
2) Do not expect to undo years of weight gain in a few weeks.
3) You do not "deserve" indulgences.
4) Weigh at the same time of day weekly, not daily.
5) Set a schedule for exercising, i.e. 3x week
6) Do not go to the gym and walk 2 MPH on the treadmill and expect results. It takes HARD WORK!

I remember when I started my diet a few months before the summer, I thought that by the time summer rolled around I would be in tip top shape! Fast forward two years, and I am almost there. I guess there is nothing wrong with being optimistic, assuming it does not back fire and become discouraging. I have noticed the closer you get to your optimum weight, the slower the weight comes off! Also, if you are strength training, you will need to eventually switch to checking your body fat percentage because as we all know muscle makes you gain weight, but in a good way. Taylor body fat scales are very accurate.

My last piece of advice is make sure you are losing weight for the right reasons. The reason you eat healthy and exercise is to be a good example of your family, friends and for Christians to be obedient to God. It's a great way to learn self control and discipline. Do it so you have a chance to see your great-grandchildren! Don't do it to impress people or to gain attention or just because you are worried about what other people think. The fact is, more than 1 in 3 people are obese so most people really don't care or notice if you are overweight. Speaking of which, don't worry about what people think at the gym either. Remember many of them were overweight when they started, and the only people that would judge you are too busy looking at themselves in the mirror. :-)


Note: Please consult with your doctor before starting any exercise program, the above is not meant to be a substitute for medical advice, nor is is medical advice, it is my personal experience with weight loss.











No comments:

Post a Comment