Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm not a morning person, or am I?

This morning as I drove to the gym I was thinking, I am not a morning person. Immediately I realized that when I am on vacation, I mysteriously have no problem at all getting up bright and early! I began thinking about Proverbs 18:21 -Death and life are in the power of the tongue. I have been telling myself I am not a morning person, but that theory is easily shattered by my eagerness to get up early on vacation. So really, it is just about my attitude, and my behavior and choices. For example, if I stay up all night, it will be harder to get up early.

What kind of things do you speak into your own life, or those around you? I find it amazing how many people speak negative things into their own life or their family's life. Let's face it, we often treat those around us worse than anyone. If your child isn't doing their work at school don't tell them they are lazy and dumb, tell them they are smart, and you are disappointed they are not applying themselves. Do you know that a large part of prison population had people tell them they would end up in jail? It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Let's talk about spouses and boyfriends girlfriends. Same principal applies here, if you want your husband/boyfriend to be an %^$&^%, keep calling him that! You want your wife/girlfriend to be a "B", keep telling her she is one. If someone is out of control, try telling them, you are so sweet, why are you acting like this? Let's take a time out. This may sound foreign to many of you, weak, and sort of ridiculous, but what is really ridiculous is two people screaming and yelling back and forth, both on the offensive, and only thinking what they are going to say next. It takes a lot more strength to keep your mouth shut, than to argue. It's totally ridiculous, but we have all found ourselves doing it with our kids, family, and friends at some time in our lives. Arguing with someone doesn't do anything but damage your relationship with that person. My pastor at Faith Promise Church tweeted about this while I was working on this blog. Many of us we find ourselves in the moment and forget. So if you are reading this, and you like to duke it out verbally, try something different. It's going to feel weird at first, but suck up your pride and try it. Sometimes you win by losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment