Thursday, April 28, 2011

Golf Ball Sized Hail in Knoxville, TN

April 27th, 2011 is a day that most people that live in the south are not going to forget. Everyone concurs I began to realize something was really wrong when the NOAA weather radio kept going off repeatedly, and I could see and hear the concern of the weather forecasters on the news. Before the storm hit, I prayed that God would surround my house with Angels, and also my son's apartment and protect us. I watched Doppler radar and noticed the storm was almost here, and I also saw that infamous hook they talk about headed right our way. I decided I would set up my camera to try to get some video of some of the lightening when it started to hail lightly. I have lived here most of my life, so I figured I was just going to be filming some pea sized hail, but then all of the sudden golf ball sized hail starts raining down. You can actually see some bounce inside the house on the video below. Within seconds, the entire house was being pummeled with large hail as I immediately slammed the door and headed to the basement. What happened next was scary. This golf ball sized hail was raining down at an angle hitting the house and windows with full force. The noise from the storm was so loud that it sounded like all the windows upstairs had busted and the hail was coming inside the house. This went on for what seemed like an eternity but was probably about 3-5 minutes. I am very grateful that nobody in our sub division was hurt and the funnel cloud spotted nearby did not turn into a tornado. Many lives were lost last night, and my prayers go out to the families.

No comments:

Post a Comment