Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Invest in People that Invest in you!

Have you ever noticed on Facebook when someone has a birthday, the page goes nuts? I actually hide my birthday to prevent this, because I think it's a joke. It's effortless to go on someone's page and write happy birthday on the page. You can actually send people gift cards on facebook now, I bet that was a big epic fail! There are people who use apps to automatically post happy birthday to the page, that's an even bigger farce! The reality is, it was free, convenient and effortless for someone to wish you a happy birthday and facebook prompted them to do so with a reminder. Try posting that you are moving and you need help this weekend on facebook, and all you hear is crickets, or sorry I'm going to be out of town, or my kid has a game that day. I had a men's group study yesterday for lunch. This wasn't a google hangout, or live chat, people actually drove somewhere and met in person! Before I arrived, I was already having a challenging morning. I'm not sure if it was obvious, or divine intervention, but right before we started class, the group leader stopped and came over and said I forgot to give you some love and gave me a hug. I'm not big on hugging. I think it's likely a product of my environment, etc. I did however realize I needed this hug and greatly appreciated it, and it helped get my day back on track. The problem is the world we live in. We were taught by our parents and teachers, and now we are teaching our kids that the world revolves around little junior or Sally and that everyone is a winner! Came in last place in the race? No problem, you still get an award! The reason you hear crickets and excuses when you need help moving is people are lazy, self centered, and no matter what type of show they put on, or how many times they like your photo on facebook, they don't care about anybody but themselves or their immediate family. Invest in people, and things, that invest in you! If you are doing something or invest your time in something, and people are just taking and not giving, move on to something else. Realize though, it's going to be very hard to find other people that are willing to sacrifice of themselves, because it's not our nature, and it's not what the world teaches. We are not meant to have dozens of friends according to scripture!

A man of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

No comments:

Post a Comment