Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mr. Dan - You will be missed!

I took this photo of "Mr. Dan" at Faith Promise Church January 27, 2013. Mr. Dan consistently served in the Promise Kids ministry for many years. I still have fond memories of bringing my son Matthew to church and seeing Mr. Dan at the front door in one of his cool costumes. Somehow Matthew and Mr. Dan ended up doing a long term catch me if you can game as we entered the church that went on for many,many years. I still can see the big smile on Matthew's face as he tried to run past Mr. Dan to get into the church always narrowly escaping his grasp even if arching his back to nearly impossible positions was necessary.  I can also remember the big smile and laughter from Mr. Dan. This never got old for Matthew, I don't know the exact number, but I would say that at least 200 times this game they played occurred. Now Matthew is a 6'2 200lb young man, so one day the fun game turned into hand shakes and pats on the back, and conversations in the foyer, but one thing did not change about the interaction, the smiles and laughter.

Pastor Chris has spoke on many occasions about 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 and how we all have different gifts. This comes to mind when I think about Mr. Dan. God used him to bring joy and laughter into the hearts of many children, my son being one of them. For that, I am forever grateful. Matthew has always enjoyed coming to Faith Promise Church, and he is now a teenager, and has learned from the example of Mr. Dan, and is now serving those 2 year old kids. Even though Mr. Dan is no longer with us here on Earth, a little part of his ministry lives on in the many children he set an example for.

In the 12+ years I have went to Faith Promise, I never saw Dan outside of church until recently. I was standing in line at Sams club, and Dan was standing behind me waiting to get an Ice Cream. I bought Dan an Ice Cream that day, and as simple as it sounds, I am so grateful for that opportunity that God gave me that day, and it is more of a blessing than any amount of money could replace.

I will miss Dan, but I am confident in knowing that one day I will be reunited with him in heaven with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment